Integrating Units to Engage Students

When I started teaching in the early 90's, teaching was so much fun!  We were given a lot of freedom in the way that we taught, and standardized tests were minimal. (Those were the days!)  The idea of "whole language" and integration of subjects was popular.  I remember teaching with big thematic units that the students found very engaging.  One specific unit I recall was our unit on the Iditarod.  We read stories about the Iditarod, we wrote letters to mushers, we did math problems focused on the cost, distance conversions and probability.  We engaged in science experiments involving states of matter and temperature changes.  Life was good!

The good news is, that the idea of integration is coming back in favor. (Swing away pendulum!) With the push for relevance in math, teachers and administrators are starting to get on board with integrating subjects and project-based learning.  I have found that students are much more engaged when different subjects are linked together and have meaning.

As a Teachers Pay Teachers author, I've started to move towards this integration approach. Not only is it more engaging and meaningful, but it gives teachers the opportunity to fit subjects like science in.  One of my favorite creations is the space unit I developed.  Although space is typically a science topic, it's such an easy topic in which to integrate language arts activities as well as math.


Do your students and yourself a favor:  Seek out integrated units as a way to teach multiple subject areas while genuinely engaging your students.  You won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Saw your post on the TPT forum. This past year I taught 3rd grade math and science. This upcoming school year we are going back to self contained (still 3rd grade). I have bookmarked your blog. I too hope to blog more (as I get more comfortable with it). I can't wait to read more from you. Here is my blog: iamteaching24-7.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome that you were able to teach math and science. I'm sure you will find time to get that science in within the self-contained classroom. I will check out your blog! Best of luck!

      Delete